America's President Donald Trump made it clear to the New York Times Wednesday that he stands with his friend Fox News's Bill O'Reilly, under fire over an expose about previously unknown Fox settlements over sexual harassment and sexual assault claims.
“I think he’s a person I know well — he is a good person,” said Mr. Trump, who during the interview was surrounded at his desk by a half-dozen of his highest-ranking aides, including the economic adviser Gary Cohn and the chief of staff, Reince Priebus, along with Vice President Mike Pence.
“I think he shouldn’t have settled; personally I think he shouldn’t have settled,” said Mr. Trump. “Because you should have taken it all the way. I don’t think Bill did anything wrong.”
Erin Gloria Ryan responds gloriously for The Daily Beast: "In a life characterized by ideological, financial, and even marital inconsistency, there’s one thing President Donald Trump has remained fairly consistent on: defending men accused of sexual assault or harassment." Ryan continues:
The list of charges against O’Reilly is long and gross. One woman claimed O’Reilly would call her on the phone and sound as though he was masturbating when she answered. Others claimed O’Reilly professionally retaliated against women who rejected his sexual advances. . . .
This isn’t the first time O’Reilly has come face to face with allegations that he’s a nightmare to women. In transcripts from O’Reilly’s custody hearing with ex-wife Maureen McPhilmy obtained by Gawker in 2015, a psychologist charged with evaluating the O’Reilly family says O’Reilly’s teenage daughter once saw her father choking her mother and dragging her down the stairs. O’Reilly has denied those charges.
Consider that Trump also defended buddy Labor Secretary candidate Andy Puzder, who was defeated before Congress after humiliating testimony about his alleged sexual assaults on his wife became public. Coincidentally or not, Puzder also left his CEO role at Carl's Jr. and Hardee's as the company also abandoned its notoriously "boobs and beef" historic ad campaign.
The number of advertisers in retreat at Fox News is now over 50. So far, the majority of pulled ad dollars have been rerouted to other programs. This is, however, a potentially temporary solution, writes Business Insider.
"I think that if the public and if advertisers continue to push on their beliefs and move away from O’Reilly, then Fox News may also follow suit," said Mimi Chakravorti, the executive director of a brand consulting firm, in an interview with TVNewser. "It’s a difficult decision because advertising isn’t the only way they make their money, but it’s a significant way in which they make their money."
This structural shift comes after around 50 advertisers pulled their commercials from O'Reilly's time slot in the last few days.