Prince Harry will speak at the Landmine Free World 2025 reception at Kensington Palace to mark International Mine Awareness Day on April 4. Harry is committed to continuing in his mother Princess Diana's footsteps in pursuit of a world free of landmines by 2025, writes Vogue UK.
Diana was photographed walking through a mine field in Angola to raise awareness of the risk of often lethal undiscovered landmines.
“In the year marking the 20th anniversary of the Princess’s death, Prince Harry is pleased to have this moment to recognize the significant contribution his mother made in this field; the progress which has been made by the Mines Advisory Group, the Hazardous Areas Life-Support Organisation, the UK Government and other organisations; and the opportunity to continue raising awareness of making the world land mine-free by 2025,” Kensington Palace said.
Harry has previously worked with The Halo Trust, who also took his mother to the region two decades ago.
"The world is too little aware of the waste of life, limb and land which anti-personnel land mines are causing among some of the poorest people on Earth," Diana, Princess of Wales said at the time. "Some people chose to interpret my visit as a political statement. But it was not. I am not a political figure. My interests are humanitarian. That is why I felt drawn to this human tragedy."
Reuters reported in January that the world is in an entirely new landmine crisis resulting from the war in Syria.
Jane Cocking, the group's chief executive, said "at least $100 million of additional funding will be needed per year to tackle both newly laid land mines and those still in the soil from previous conflicts in more than 60 countries."
"The problem is that we're seeing the emergence of a new crisis of a scale that we haven't seen since the 1990s, and to deal with that as well requires substantially more money," Cocking told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.