Atlantic Magazine weighs in on the rise of the professional blogger, arguing that blogging is becoming institutionalized.
• Of the top 50 blogs, 21 are owned by such familiar names as CNN, the New York Times, ABC, and AOL.
• Roughly 42% of all blog traffic—flows to the top 50 blogs.
• AOL owns 27 of the top 100 blogs.
• An immense proportion of the online readership—roughly 42% of all blog traffic—flows to the top 50 blogs.
• The big brands have become so powerful that it’s little wonder that 94 percent of the blogs counted in Technorati’s 2008 State of the Blogosphere report have been shuttered and abandoned.